Thursday, September 9, 2010

Soul Mate Kit

"Great" I yelled out loud to no one as I opened up my mail slot. It had finally arrived. The box was not as big as I had expected, and I figured it would come from FedEx or UPS, but it was in with my bills and TV Guide.

The elevator seemed slower and the hallways longer as I walked to my apartment. As I turned the key, entered and greeted my pet rat Edward I put the box on the love seat (Which has not seen any in nearly 7 years) I made the decision to wait until I had eaten dinner to open it. I wanted it to be like a Christmas present. The waiting is the best part of opening them.

I put on my PJ's, fed Edward, turned on the TV to "Family Guy" and threw a Lean Cuisine into the microwave. I wait the few minutes it takes to heat up and carefully carry it to the TV tray. As always "Family Guy" is funny and even better they are showing back-to-back episodes. When 7:00 comes around I remember the box.

The advertisement for the soul mate kit was on late night TV on Saturday. A Man & Woman were pretending to be "Soul Mates" but I didn't really believe them. They talked to fast and were to good in front of the camera. I'm not sure if it was the loneliness that I feel everyday, the complete and total emptiness I feel as life goes by that led me to buy this, or perhaps it was just that I was tired and I fell for the couples (Actors) quick talk. hell, I didn't even remember what it was they were selling. I just heard soul mate and called.

Whatever it was that led this box to me, here it was. My thoughts were that I was going to open this box and not be lonely anymore, I was going to open it and be like my Brothers, Popular with Women. I was going to open this box and be one of those guys that I see hand in hand with some Woman and looking so damn happy that I hate them. This box was the answer to everything.

I put the box on my lap and slowly cut off the white straps that were around it. I lifted up one of the corners and slowly tore off the cover. The box itself was red, my guess it represented love. Kind of corny I thought. My eyes looked at the object inside, my heart jumped, my hands got clammy. The object is framed and hand stitched. Red letters on a white back ground. It says "Don't give up. Don't ever give up"

No comments:

Post a Comment