Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mean People Suck

The mother could not have been more then 40 yrs old. The son was about 10, The daughter 7 or so. I approached the check out line at the grocery store clutching my few items. The line was long and I heard people making sounds that impatient people make: moans, groans, muttering under their breath. I had no idea what the problem was until I stepped behind the last person in line. God forbid. The woman at the register did not have enough money to pay for all the items she was buying.

The cashier could have been nicer about it. Try to keep it private. But instead she said very loudly "Their is not enough on your card. Do you have any cash?" The woman turned red from embarrassment and I am sure a touch of shame. "You are going to have to decide what to take out" the cashier informed her. Loudly.

At this point the woman's kids looked at her. The son seemed to want to run away and try to not claim this as his mother. The daughter took her moms hand and looked up at her with questionable eyes "Mom"? Very quietly the woman started to hand the cashier items: Tuna, a can of fruit, a box of tissue. Beep, beep, beep, the cashier waved them back over the register. "You are going to have to take out more" the cashier, now visibly frustrated shouted.

The people in front of me were shuffling their feet. "COME ON"!! a few yelled. The son at this point walked away from his mother and sister and went closer to the doors. The daughter was handing things to her mom: Juice, frozen breakfast meals. Beep, beep, beep, went the register. I noticed that not one item was frivolous. She had food and household items. No junk, no candy, ice cream. Nothing that a mother would hurriedly buy after hearing their child say "Please, please, please" a hundred times. She was just a mother trying to provide for her family.

The cashier hit a button that let other employees know that a second line had to be opened. A man came over, put away the plastic "Closed" sign, and everyone in front of me went rushing over. Everyone. I stepped behind the woman and her daughter and waited. Now that the line had dispersed the son came back over and helped his sister hand over items. Beep, beep, beep went the register. "Do you want to just leave and come back with the money"? the cashier mumbled. "You are still short by a few dollars". The woman looked at me and I could tell by the look on her face that part of her wanted to run. Just take her children and get away from the situation. She wanted to go and put her kids in the back seat of the car so that they would not see her crying. The cashier looked at me rolling her eyes, expecting me to look down at this woman like everyone else.

Back in the late 80's I was living in Hartford and I was poor. I would live off of hot dogs, cereal, and eggs. I would have $20.00 to my name that needed to last me 2 weeks. I was ashamed, sad, depressed, scared, and hopeless. I had to survive so I starved at times. I finally did receive food stamps which helped greatly. Like this woman though I would be red with embarrassment when I had to pull out the book and tear off the bills within sight of everyone. I would just whisper to myself that at least I was going to be able to eat.

"How much is she short by"? I quietly asked the cashier. She looked puzzled. "You mean now, or from the beginning" she asked "The beginning" I said. "$15.47". Her eyes bulged as I went over and gave her my debit card. "Put it on my card" "What..Umm..Ok" she stammered as I put my numbers into the register. The other line had emptied out and the "Closed" sign was back in place. The woman standing behind me on her cell phone didn't seem to notice what was going on.

The mother just looked at me. She whispered "Thank you, thank you". The son smiled, the daughter was still holding her moms hand. The transaction finished they went to the counter to put the groceries into bags. I bought my few items and started to leave. "Thank you mister" said the daughter. the mother smiled at me with a look that I will never forget. The cashier continued on with the woman with the cell phone. She acted like her response to this mother was fine. No apologies, no looks of understanding. She just went on with her business.

As I drove away I hoped to myself that these children would remember this small gesture and learn from it. I hoped that they would have a good life.

1 comment:

  1. i knew from the begining what you were going to do....
    done it too...
    and been there with the WIC and foodstamps as well...

    kindred spirit my friend.

    ReplyDelete