Friday, June 19, 2009

Someone to watch over me

It happened again. that moment when something happens to you that could have been worse if.

When I was at the beach with my brother Jimmy and his then girlfriend Sandy. I got caught in a riptide and could not swim. I remember being beneath the water, my lungs bursting, seeing rays of sun rippling in the water above me. A hand gripped me, lifted me up to safety, lying me down on the beach. I never knew who it was for they vanished as a group of people surrounded me.

When during one of my many operations I remember seeing myself on the table, roaming the hospital. Seeing a white light and going towards it. Seeing shapes appear, greeting me. But then hearing my name called out and waking to the feel of someone slapping my face in post op.

When I was with my parents driving to my Uncles house and as we approached a curve a car came barreling around it with a police car right behind. 2 more seconds we would have been going around that curve and their is no way they would have missed us.

When I was in the depths of depression and self-hatred I was brought out of it by many wonderful people. They came into my life at just the right time and then like that person on the beach, vanished forever.

When I was driving a family car and ended up rolling it down an embankment. It stopped on its roof and I hung upside down with the seat belt tight around me. The only injury I sustained was a cut to the head when I frantically let the seat belt go and fell on my head.

Yesterday I drove home from work after a half day. I looked forward to having time off, my mind filled with all the things I could do. Going 70 on the highway, in traffic. Instead of taking my usual exit which gets me off the highway quicker, I followed the highway to the exit nearest my apartment. I pulled into the parking lot of Aldi's to get some groceries and the right rear wheel locked up on me. i was going no more then 10 mph so I was able to stop.

I nursed my car home in the rain, rear wheel locked. I only had a mile if that to go and my mind set was "Just get home" I made all the necessary calls. Got the tow truck to come. Turned out the man used to work at the garage where I wanted to bring the car. he knew exactly where it was located and did not charge me the fee of $5.00 for each mile past 5 miles AAA requires.

At the garage the mechanics asked me where the tire locked up on me. I told them the story and they informed me that I was lucky. If I had been on the highway when this happened I would have been in an accident. They had heard stories about things like this. I would have gotten sideways going 70. the cars to my side would have hit me. The cars to my rear would have hit me. Who knows what would have happened to me personally.

I sat and thought about it. It happened again. That moment when something happens at just the right moment. I was no more then a mile from exiting off the highway when the tire locked. A mile. Wow.

Lying in bed last night I cried. I admit it. Not ashamed. I cried for everything that could have happened to me. I whispered thank you to my guardian angel. Thank you for everything.

1 comment: