Tuesday, June 23, 2009

You Got Lucky

This is a song from Tom Petty. It is one of my favorite songs. When I hear this song it brings me back to when I was young and I was a patient at Newington Children's Hospital. I was there for yet another surgery.

I made a close friend during this stay. her name was Karen Scanlon and she was 12 years old. This was back in 1982/1983. We became friends very quickly and spent most of our time together in the play room that was at the end of the hallway on the floor we were on. This room was filled with books, toys, games, stuffed animals, puzzles, a stereo that was always on and set to WHCN. A popular rock station at that time. It also had a bumper pool table.

Karen was there because she was dealing with an eating disorder. We told each other everything about our fears, desires. We shared stories of being scared, shy and lonely. We clung to each other.

We played bumper pool as often as we could with the radio blaring. The nurses would have to come rushing in yelling at us to turn it down. We would and then laugh as we turned it up even higher as the nurse left.

The day finally came when Karen informed me that the doctors were letting her go home and attend a day treatment program. She told me she was scared but thought she was going to be ok. As the day of her departure arrived we played one last game of bumper pool sharing knowing glances. We most likely would never see each other again. yes, we could have exchanged numbers and addresses, but in reality our time together and friendship was like lightning in a bottle.

As we gave each other hugs and she walked out with a nurse and her Mother "You got lucky" was playing on the stereo. I sat there and felt alone and cried.

I don't remember how long afterwards it was, or even where the information came from. I just remember being near some elevators. But I inquired about Karen and was informed that she had died from a heart attack brought on by her eating disorder.

We never saw each other again after that last pool game, but for some reason that image of her leaving for the last time and that song playing has remained with me all of these years later. I just heard the song on my Zune and I needed to write this. I wanted to pay my respects to my wonderful friend. I smiled, closed my eyes and for a minute I was back there during that scary, traumatic, wonderful time with her.

She will always be in my heart. I certainly did get lucky.

1 comment:

  1. a 12 year old eventually dying of an eating disorder.

    what does that say about our cultural values.

    she got lucky too. For those moments she had a real friend in you.

    ReplyDelete